We are hiring for Relief Child and Youth Care Counsellors for our Therapeutic Campus-Based Care programs and group homes.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the Child and Youth Care Counsellor is a member of the interdisciplinary team which assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the treatment program(s) for a given person served. The Counsellor participates fully in all facets of program life with the persons served (instrumental, clinical, developmental), and is responsible for their daily care, treatment, nurturance, supervision, and health. The role is extensive and includes counselling, teaching and training, as well as recording and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend to the physical safety, esteem and developmental needs of the youth (person served)
- Select and make appropriate use of behavioural interventions and strategies
- Communicate rules and behavioural limits and follow through on appropriate behavioural consequences
- Identify and act on goal-related teaching opportunities; use systematic plans of instruction, appropriate teaching methods and approaches to transfer information and skills
- Supervise, organize and implement daily living activities and see these as opportunities for educational and therapeutic interventions
- Use routines and activities to give persons served security and enable them to relate to others in socially acceptable ways; help the youth understand the need for routines and procedures
- Provide meaningful and responsible role modelling, as well as direct teaching in areas of grooming, hygiene, dress, nutrition and social manners
- Plan and carry out individual and group activities of a recreational nature
- Improve the quality of life for the persons served by attending to their physical environment
- Monitor and work directly with the person served in all aspects of his/her life, i.e., liaise with parents and community groups
- Promote and safeguard persons' served rights, interests and treatment by interceding on their behalf
- Act as an avenue of recourse or grievance for the person served and represent his/her interests
- Carry out advocacy responsibilities with regard to the person served and the Agency
- In working with persons served, parents/guardians, co-workers, other professionals and the public, demonstrate appropriate conduct in terms of behaviour, appearance, and presentation and conform to Agency expectations with regard to confidentiality
- Attend to team responsibilities in terms of participation, communication, and demonstrating a positive attitude
- Model socially acceptable values, e.g., integrity, fairness, and respect
- Participate in professional development activities
Skills and Qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in human services or social sciences, or currently enrolled in a program.
- High personal competence in the formation and maintenance of caring, therapeutic relationships.
- Interest, commitment, consistent, and a high level of personal maturity and responsibility.
- Ability to engage persons served and families in the treatment process.
- Clear Police Check including Vulnerable Sector CheckChild Intervention Record Check.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Completion of ASIST, First Aid, Certified with CYCAA and/or Therapeutic Crisis Intervention would be considered an asset.
- Preference will be given to those that have completed coursework and/or certification in Brain Development or Trauma-Informed Care. Some suggested courses include:
- The Brain Story Certification through the Alberta Family Wellness Initiative (AFWI) - www.albertafamilywellness.org
- The Trauma-Informed Care E- Learning Modules through Alberta Health Services - https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/info/Page15526.aspx
- Calgary and Area Child Advocacy Centre “Being Trauma Aware” Online Course - https://trauma.respectgroupinc.com
If interested, please direct your cover letter and resume indicating “Your Name – Relief CYCC” in the subject line of your e-mail to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants who are interested in this position, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Diversity Works At Hull