The Lasting Impressions Program has a half-time, temporary (18 month) Family Mentor position available. This position is based on a flexible, non-structured work week including evenings and some weekend work when necessary. The program has an on-call service for families which is shared across a number of other programs. You would be required to be a part of this on-call rotation.
Hull Services is a registered charitable organization that provides an integrated continuum of services including specialized therapy, counselling and education for children, youth and families who may experience emotional and psychological disorders, mental illness, behavioural and developmental challenges.
We view our employees as our strength and are committed to professional growth, competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and a supportive team environment.
The Family Mentor carries a caseload of families and supports the families in their home and community. Family Mentors provide a variety of services to families where one or both parents are dealing with mental health challenges. This in-home services is designed to improve personal and family wellness and to prevent family breakdown. The program also facilitates Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) groups for parents and offers monthly community activities to our families. Additionally, the program runs family network events once a month and staff are expected to alternate supporting these events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide home-based treatment and support for at least three families at a time.
- Engage, assess and develop therapeutic relationships with family members to arrive at individualized treatment goals, treatment rationales and implementation plans.
- Develop and implement effective treatment interventions to improve family functioning by providing individual and family-oriented education, counselling and skills training.
- Advocate for families and children in schools, communities, courts, mental health and social service agencies as needed.
- If appropriate, stay with a family in crisis until other arrangements are made.
- Assist each family, as appropriate, in meeting their basic needs for housing, food, transportation, employment, day care, social support networks, etc.
- Work closely and cooperatively with the family's caseworker and other relevant professionals involved in intake, adjunctive services and follow up.
- Provide services to families in accordance with the policies and procedures of Hull Services to ensure humane, individualized treatment is planned, sensitive to cultural differences and designed to foster strengths in the family.
- Participate in a close consultation relationship with the Program Coordinator and work within the policies and procedures outlined for the program.
- Participate in the evaluation processes and procedures and actively promote quality standards for the profession.
- Keep thorough and up-to-date person’s served records and professionally document treatment plans and termination reports.
- Promote cooperation and harmony and foster a positive, optimistic environment for children, families, colleagues and others.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in Human Services or Social Sciences.
- Preference will be given to candidates with relevant experience working with children, youths and families and providing services to families in their homes.
- Knowledge of crisis intervention, communication skills and family education.
- Relevant experience in working with the mental health, hospital systems and other relevant systems is preferred.
- Perceived ability to model appropriate behaviours and exercise sound clinical judgment in working with distressed individuals and families.
- Clear Police Check including Vulnerable Sector Check; Child Intervention Record Check.
- Must have a valid driver's license, reliable transportation and adequate automobile liability insurance.
Application Deadline: Monday, July 15, 2019
- Direct your e-mail, cover letter, and resume to: email@example.com
- Please indicate “Your Full Name – LI Family Mentor” in the subject line of your e-mail.
We thank all applicants who are interested in this position, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Diversity Works at Hull