To be effective, generate change and help kids and families take control of their lives, Hull has invested in ten evidence-based intervention models practiced within many programs. Evidence based models are well specified, researched for decades in well-controlled studies by third party investigators and are replicable by other investigators.
Evidence-based models delivered at Hull are:
- Attachment, Self-Regulation and Competency (ARC) is a framework for intervention with youth and families who have experienced complex traumatic stress. Hull School joined the Calgary Board of Education’s initiative to create trauma sensitive schools.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is a treatment program for psychological and personality problems. CBT combines two forms of therapy, cognitive restructuring, which identifies and changes stressful thoughts and behaviour modification, which alters inappropriate or unhealthy behaviours. Hull’s Pre-Adolescent Treatment Program (PTP) has successfully used CBT for kids in care. PTP also uses the trauma focused cognitive behavioural therapy model (TF-CBT), which focuses on helping kids overcome negative feelings and behaviours resulting from traumatic experiences.
- Community Parenting Education (COPE) is an adult education program for parents of children with disruptive behaviours. CPEP, Hull’s Community Parent Education Program uses the COPE model.
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is a system of therapy originally developed to treat persons with borderline personality disorder, in which a severe emotionally unstable personality develops often because of traumatic childhood experiences. DBT is also effective in treating individuals with other issues such as eating disorders, behavioural problems, chemical dependency and sexual abuse victimization. DBT combines cognitive behavioural techniques with concepts derived from Buddhist meditative practices. DBT is utilized in whole or in part within Hull’s Bridging the Gap, TRACC, Lasting Impressions, Family Initiatives and Voluntary Detox programs.
- The PATHS® program is a school and community-based, early intervention curriculum for all children, including those with serious behaviour issues and at risk of developing conduct disorders. The PATHS® program is a social-emotional learning curriculum designed to facilitate the development of self-control, emotional awareness and problem solving skills with preschool and elementary school students. *PATHS® is a trademark of PATHS Program Holding, LLC.
- Functional Behaviour Analysis (FBA) is a problem-solving process for addressing challenging behaviours in children and adolescents. FBA begins as an assessment to help determine the reasons behind the problem behaviour. Hull’s Cottage Seven Campus-based and Day Program has successfully used FBA in the learning and behaviour for children and adolescents with developmental disabilities.
- High Fidelity Wraparound (HFWA) is a process that helps families with complex needs that are at significant risk of breakdown, or are preparing for a child/youth being reunited with the family. The Calgary Wraparound Initiative, established in 2006, is a partnership with Hull Services, Calgary and Area Child and Family Services, McMan Youth, Family and Community Services, and Enviros.
- Stop Now and Plan (SNAP®) is a cognitive behavioural strategy designed to help children and adults effectively manage emotional responses to stressful situations before they act. SNAP® teaches kids and adults to stop and think of alternate ways of expressing emotions such as anger and make better choices to control impulsive and aggressive behaviours. Hull’s New Roads Program is a licensed user of SNAP® and in partnership with The City of Calgary - Community and Neighbourhood Services and the YMCA Calgary.
- Positive Parenting Program (Triple P) is an intervention and prevention program for parents. Its strategies aim to prevent severe behavioural, emotional and developmental problems in children as well as support families with current and potentially future problems before they escalate. Hull’s Family Initiatives Program delivers Triple P.